Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship (South)
September 9-10, 2023
TAMPA, Fla. - Two teams took home wins at the Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championships on Sunday. The duo of Brendon Ehlers and Matthew Giovannelli captured the North victory at Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club, while James Preston and Kelly Sellers picked up the South win at Grande Oaks Golf Club.
Ehlers and Giovannelli went wire-to-wire to capture the victory at Lake Jovita, firing a 25-under 119 for the championship. They took a first-round lead with a 13-under 59 on Saturday, combing in for seven birdies on the front side. The duo headed into the final round with a two-shot lead over the field with a host other teams looking to make a charge on Sunday.
Ocala natives, Ehlers and Giovannelli kept it rolling in the final round with a 7-under 29 on the front side with an eagle on the ninth from Ehlers. They secured the championship victory with a final-round 60 to take home the nine-shot victory.
Rhett Pooley and Trenton Farrow put together rounds of 63-65 to earn a runner-up finish at 16-under 128, while two teams took third place at 15-under 129: Paul Tesori & Chad James and Joe Alfieri & Daniel DeBra.
Preston and Sellers came out on top in the South Championship with a 13-under 129 for the two-day championship. The Lakeland native took a share of the first-round lead at 6-under 65 with defending champion, Austin Powell and his partner, Richard Donegan.
Lakeland native, Preston and Sellers put together one of the low rounds of the tournament to take home the victory on Sunday. The pair got the day started with four birdies on the front side, with Preston taking charge on the back nine to birdie three of the final four holes. Their 7-under 64 secured the three-shot victory.
Three teams finished the championship in a tie for second at 10-under 132, including Powell and Donegan who posted a final-round 67. Ryan Abbate and Jon Veneziano carded the low-round of the day, with Preston and Sellers, to take a share of second place, while Jesus Ramirez and Diego Fernandez posted two rounds of 66.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Am Four Ball||6,682 yards / 72.8 / 138|
|Mostly Sunny / 20 Minute Weather Delay||87 °F|
|Mostly Sunny / No Wind||90 °F|
Certain to provide an atmosphere for competitive team golf, the Mid-Amateur Four-Ball attracts the best Mid-Amateur teams throughout the state each year. The Mid-Amateur Four-Ball is a great event for two players 25 or older to team up and compete for a state championship.
Format: 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA member at least 25 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 15.0 or less
Entry Fee: $360 ($180 per player)
- 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play (commonly known as two-person best-ball)
- Maximum Field Size - 52 teams (104 players)
- The lowest team score for 36 holes will be the Champion
What is a Four-Ball? A four-ball is a two person team where the low score of the two players on each hole is counted. It is commonly referred to as best ball.
- Male amateur golfers at least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
- Active Florida GHIN of 15.0 or less at time of entry
- $360 ($180 per player)
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Saturday, September 9th
- 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 and #10
Sunday, September 10th
- 8:00 AM - Shotgun
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800 yards.
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available for $40.00 plus tax on a space available basis one week prior to the event, limited to after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior. A golf genius booking link will be provided prior to the event to book practice rounds on a date specified by the club. Please call (954) 916-2901 to reserve a practice round outside of the reserved block under the Golf Genius booking link.
The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hitting multiple balls on the golf course is unacceptable.
Four teams were within one shot going into Sunday's final round as the teams all finished with 6-under 65's on Saturday. Ultimately, Jonah Wasserstrom and Austin Powell would come out of the final group to take the lead. Wasserstrom would birdie three holes in a row and Powell got it going through the turn with birdies on 9, 10, 12 and 13. The duo would finish at 10-under 61 which would allow them to come back to take the Championship at a two-day total of 16-under 126.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are NOT permitted in FSGA Championships and FSGA qualifying rounds per the FSGA Code of Conduct; except at the Florida Open, Florida Women's Open & Senior Open, and the Florida Senior Open - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Grande Oaks Golf Club accepts all major credit cards.
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale West Hotel
1230 S. Pine Island Road
Plantation, FL 33324
Click here for more information and to book your stay
Grande Oaks Golf Club
3201 W. Rolling Hills Circle
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328
Click here for directions.