Senior Amateur Match Play Championship
June 12-15, 2022
Daytona Beach, Fla. – After a few long and steamy days up at the Jones Course of LPGA International, Miles McConnell was the last one standing after Wednesday's round to capture the Senior Amateur Match Play title.
Stroke Play Seeding
Although the heat index was upwards of 100 degrees, payers still found the ability to battle through the elements and fire some great 36 Hole scores. At the top was Chad Frank, who put together two stellar rounds of 69-67 (-8) to earn the top seed heading into Monday's afternoon matches. Miles McConnell, Rob Bringardner, Bobby Bird, & Alexander Bauman rounded out the Top-5, and were the only five players in the field to finish under par for the stroke play seeding rounds.
Match Play Rounds
After cutting the field down to the top 32 players, the matches certainly did not disappoint. We saw some familiar names make their way into Tuesday morning matches, and in true under dog fashion, the 32 seed, Tom Myers, was able to advance all the way to the Quarterfinals, before falling to Jim Marcelak Tuesday afternoon. Entering Wednesday's morning matches we were down to four players, who all fought hard to have a chance at the Championship. Newcomer to the FSGA events, Vinny Testaverde, put together a steady morning match to beat Jim Marcelak, and earned himself a spot in final match against Miles McConnell who defeated Mike Riley 2 & 1.
After both playing six rounds of golf over four days, only one match remained on Wednesday afternoon to determine the 2022 champion. After falling 1 down early, Testaverde quickly bounced back and birdied both holes 3 & 4 to take a 1 up leading going to the 5th. After exchanging birdies on holes 8 & 9, Testaverde maintained his 1 up leading heading to the final nine holes. Both players caught fire on the back nine, as McConnell birdied 10, Testaverde birdied 11, McConnell birdied 12, and Testaverde birdied 13 in order to regain his 1 up lead. After tying the 14th, McConnell began to take over as won holes 15 & 16 to take a 1 up lead with two holes to play. On 17, Testaverde put it in the water, and McConnell was able to make an easy par to win the match 2 & 1. This becomes McConnell's first Senior Amateur Match Play title, and he looks to continue his good playing at the U.S. Senior Open next week.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Stroke Play Seeding Rounds||6,441 Yards (71.5 / 135)|
|Partly Cloudy & Slightly Breezy||85 °F|
|Overcast & Hot||86 °F|
|Sunny & Calm||95 °F|
Format: 36 holes of individual gross stroke play, followed by match play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 55 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Entry Fee: $195
- 36 holes of individual stroke play to determine the 32 qualifiers for match play.
- Maximum Field Size - 84 players
- A tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole play-off.
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw.
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
- Male amateur golfer; at least 55 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be an Adult member of the FSGA, with a valid FL GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 10.0
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Entry Priority Guidelines
Prior to Close of Entries
- Last five year's Senior Amateur Match Play Champions
- Last year's Senior Amateur Match Play Quarterfinalists
- Top 25 and ties from Senior Player of the Year Points List at close of entries
- Top 25 and ties from current year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Top 25 and ties from previous year's Senior Amateur Points List
- Top 5 and ties from previous season's Winter Series Points List (55-64 Age Division)
- Florida Residents Qualifying for previous year's USGA Individual Championships
- Committee Exemptions
After Close of Entries
- Any available spots in the field will be filled on a first-come, first-served bais (up to 20 spots) and then alternate list by handicap index on the entry close date.
- Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when a spot becomes available.
Sunday, June 12
Round one stroke play tee times will begin at 8:00 AM off #1 and #10 tees in foursomes.
Monday, June 13
Round two of stroke play. Players will be re-paired by score - 8:30 AM Shotgun in foursomes.
Following morning shotgun, all players will be provided a lunch buffet included with entry fee
If necessary, a playoff to determine the final match play seeds will commence immediately following stroke play.
Single elimination matches begin at 2:00 PM
Tuesday, June 14
- 8:00 AM - 8:56 AM - Round of 16 Matches
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM - Quarterfinal Matches
Wednesday, June 15
8:00 AM - 8:10 AM - Semifinal Matches
Complimentary lunch provided
12:30 PM - Final Match
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
The course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,400 - 6,500 yards - Senior Ages 55 & Over
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call (386) 274-5742 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Steve Riviere, of Sorrento, defeated David Anthony 3 & 1 in the final match to become the 2021 Senior Amateur Match Play Champion. Click here for the full results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Senior Amateur Championships
- Next year's Florida Senior Open
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart. - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
LPGA International accepts cash and all major credit cards.
1000 Champions Drive
Daytona Beach, FL 32124
Click here for directions.