July 22-23, 2023
ORLANDO, Fla. – During the largest Parent-Child Championship in FSGA history, over 520 players took on five different golf courses. Seven well-deserving champions were crowned at ChampionsGate Golf Club, Orange County National Golf Club and Lodge, and ChampionsGate Country Club on Sunday including the teams of: Len and Leonard Schonfeld (32 & Over), Jackson and Doug Stroup (24-31), Steve and Jacob Carter (18-23), Stefan and Jesse Daley (17 & Under), Seth and Colby Strickland (10-12), Nathan and Nott Naganidhi (8-9), and Trent and Benjamin Erb (6-7).
32 & Over Division
The team of Leonard and Len Schonfeld took home yet another Parent-Child Championship victory, only this time it took a playoff to do it. After rounds of 68-74, the team finished at a total of two-under par, tied with Case and Mark Gard.
Finishing in a tie for third place were the teams of Wade and Wade Oney and Trey and Bobby Lundquist. These two teams finished at a total of one-under par each.
Finishing atop the leaderboard in the 24-31 age division was the team of Jackson and Doug Stroup. Although they got off to a slow start, a second round eight-under 64 that consisted of nine birdies and a bogey did the trick to win by four.
In second place was the team of Sean and Earl Lanoue finished with a two-day total of six-under, while the third place team of Nicholas and Douglas Jones shot two-under for the two days.
The team of Steve and Jacob Carter got the job done to add to an already impressive FSGA resume from Steve Carter. The pair from St. Augustine made a double on the third hole, but combatted it with eight birdies in the final round to win by two.
In second place, the team of Michael and Alex Whitehead shot nine-under, including three eagles in the 36 holes of play. Rounding out the podium is the team of Paul and Alex Veneziano with a two-day total of eight-under.
17 & Under Division
Leading the pack was the team of Stefan and Jesse Daley. After two days of consistent play, the team shot a pair of two-under 70 each day to win by two.
In second place was the duo of Nathan and Michael Erickson. After taking the round one lead, the Erickson’s shot a one-over round of 73 to finish at two-under. Rounding out the tie for second place, the teams of of Griffin and Kevin Henry and Barton and Bart Abstein all finished at two-under as well.
Seth and Colby Strickland captured the 10-12 Division with 60 total points. The duo carded three birdies and an eagle in the final round to secure the championship by one point with 32 points in the final round. The Miami Shores natives picked up 28 points in the first round with two birdies.
Two teams finished the weekend in second place with 59 points: Nolan & Brett Blondell and Joel & Jackson Helm.
Nathan and Nott Naganidhi used 54 points to take home the victory in the 8-9 Division. Securing the win with two rounds of 27, the pair posted one birdie in the final round to finish two points ahead of the field.
Liam and Aaron Boone finished second with 52points, along with David and David Perritt to finish the championship in a tie for second.
Trent and Benjamin Erb were victorious in the 6-7 Division for the second year in a row with an impressive 55 points for the win.
Logan and Ryder Blondell finished runner-up with 48 points, while Dominic & Tom Murray and Thomas & Connor Wharton finished tied for third with 47 points.
|Sunny Minimal Breeze||95 °F|
A tradition in Florida for more than 30 years, the FSGA Parent-Child Championship includes men, women, boys and girls of all ages. Parents and Grandparents are eligible to play with their children and grandchildren in one of the multiple age divisions, which allows everyone to participate. Teams with children older than 12, play eighteen holes each day. All ages use a Modified Alternate Shot format that promotes a great team atmosphere.
Format: 36 holes of gross Modified Alternate Shot
Eligibility: Parent/Child Teams (defined below); At least one player must by an FSGA member
Entry Fee: $300
- 36 holes of gross Modified Alternate Shot
- Maximum Field Size - 208 teams (416 players)
- Teams will be placed into Age Divisions as of the child's age on the first day of the Championship
- Each age division Champion will be the team with the lowest 36-hole total score
- Age Divisions will be flighted for gift certificates for round two by round one scores
Modified Alternate Shot
- Both players hit their tee shots
- Next, both players hit the second shot with their partner's ball
- After each ball has been played twice, the team chooses which ball it will use to complete the hole hitting alternate shots into the hole
- Any grandparent, parent, step-parent, child or grandchild of which at least one must be a member of the FSGA
- There is no maximum age limit for grandparent, parent or child
- A child under the age of 13 can move up to play in the Regular Division (at the Committees discretion), but a child age 13 or older may not play in the 9-hole Division
- Professionals may play; however, the team is not eligible for trophies or prizes
- Grandparents may play with grandchildren
- Father in-laws and mother in-laws may play with their son in-law or daughter in-law
- Only two-person teams are permitted
- Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrants gain acceptance to the field.
- 8:00 AM shotgun start BOTH DAYS
ChampionsGate Golf Club's International & National Courses will both continue to be in the 2023 rotation. The newly renovated International Course, is a beautifully styled coastal links course, which was remodeled to feel more like it's original design. The National Course is set up for players of all skill levels, as it offers scenic views, clever doglegs, and well maintained greens year round. Both courses being designed by Greg Norman, will provide golfers with a fun and great experience at the course.
Orange County National - Panther Lake Course will remain in the course rotation for 2023 and the Crooked Cat Course will join the rotation this year. The courses offer elevation changes, rolling fairways and large greens. Both courses offer different visuals and will test your game in different ways along with providing a fun and inviting experience.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after their respective age division is full (52 teams each) or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Age Divisions & 2023 Daily Course Rotation
Each Age Division will play two 18-hole golf courses over two days. Age Divisions will change course rotation annually so that everyone will have a chance to play all courses over the years.
Age Divisions are based on the child's age as of the last day of the Championship.
- Child 17 & Younger - Orange County National (Crooked Cat to Panther Lake)
- Child 18-23 - ChampionsGate (International to National)
- Child 24-31 - ChampionsGate (National to International)
- Child 32 & Older - Orange County National (Panther Lake to Crooked Cat)
(The FSGA reserves the right to adjust the Age Divisions and field sizes in order to equally distribute the number of teams on each golf course) - Age divisions were slightly modified on 6/21/23 to allow the most teams into the Championship.
Based on competitors age as of the first day of the Championship
6,500 - 6,700 yds.
Boys 15-17 & Men 50-64
6,100 - 6,300 yds.
Boys 14 & Younger and Men 65 & Over
5,400 - 5,500 yds.
5,400 - 5,500 yds.
Girls 14 & Younger and Women 50 & Over
4,800 - 5,000 yds.
ChampionsGate Golf Club's International & National Courses - available at the discounted rate of $45 plus tax per player one week prior to the event and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior on a space available basis. Call 407-787-4653 to reserve a tee time.
Orange County National - Panther Lake & Crooked Cat Courses - available at the discounted rate of $45 plus tax per player one week prior to the event and after 10:00 AM the weekend prior on a space available basis. Please call 407-656-2626 to reserve a tee time.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Spectator carts may be rented on the day of the competition, based on availability on a first-come first-served basis, at all courses for $25 plus tax per day per cart.
Child 35 & Over: Leonard/Len Schonfeld (65-66--131)
Child 25-34: Shelton/Brent Smith (69-69--138)
Child 18-24: Justin/Jason Cranford (70-68--138)
Child 17 & Younger: Jon/Alex Veneziano (63-72--135)
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are NOT permitted in FSGA Championships and FSGA qualifying rounds per the FSGA Code of Conduct; except at the Florida Open, Florida Women's Open & Senior Open, and the Florida Senior Open - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Due to the magnitude of hotel options, timeshares & budgets in the Lake Buena Vista & ChampionsGate area, there will not be a host hotel for this event.
The courses accept Cash, Visa/MasterCard and American Express for methods of payment.
ChampionsGate Golf Club
8575 White Shark Blvd,
Davenport, FL 33896
Click here for directions
Orange County National
16301 Phil Ritson Way
Winter Garden, FL 34787
Click here for directions