Junior Amateur Match Play (Boys 13-15 & Girls 13-18)
July 17-20, 2023
Jacksonville Beach, FLA. – Jack Cook and Ana Boone outlasted their competitors after six rounds of golf to earn a well-deserved victory on Thursday at Jacksonville Beach Golf Club.
The Junior Match Play Championship begins with two rounds of stroke play. The field is then cut to the top sixteen players each in the Boys (13-15) Division and the Girls (13-18) Division. Jack Cook secured the number three seed beginning the Round of 16 and Ana Boone secured the number two seed heading into her first match.
Boys (13-15) Division
Jack Cook fired scores of 70-72 in stroke play to secure the number three seed behind Igancio Hurtado and Christian Koehn. Cook faced Thomas Milajecki in the Round of 16. Milajecki competed in a playoff to capture the fourteenth seed but ultimately lost his match Cook. Cook won 5 & 4 to advance to the Quarterfinals where he faced Gabriel Hull. Hull had quite the impressive first match as he defeated Cooper Franklin 8 & 7 shooting a 28 through the first nine holes.
Cook and Hull faced off in the Quarterfinals and the match remained close but Cook closed it out on 18 and finished 2 up on Hull to advance to the Semifinals. In addition, Spencer Ives defeated Ambrose Kinnare to face Cook in the Semifinal match held on Wednesday afternoon. Ives started the match hot as he was two up on Cook through five holes. However, Cook made a comeback and outlasted Ives to end the match 5 & 3.
In addition, Nolan DeForest arrived at Jacksonville Beach Golf Club on the first day of stroke play as an onsite alternate. A late withdraw opened up a spot for DeForest and he teed it up and posted scores of 70-76 to capture the number four seed only three strokes behind Cook and advance to the Round of 16. Deforest defeated each of his competitors to find himself in the Finals match against Jack Cook on Thursday.
As the number three and the number four seed faced off, the match started out a little one-sided. DeForest led three up through four holes. Cook won his first hole with a birdie on the fifth and then continued to birdie the next two holes to bring the match to all square heading into the eighth hole. DeForest then won the ninth hole to gain his lead back to one up on Cook making the turn to the back nine. The match remained close and DeForest extended his lead to two up with two holes to play. Cook birdied the seventeenth hole to keep the match alive and then proceeded to win the eighteenth hole with a par to extend the match to the nineteenth hole. The two competitors remained neck and neck after twenty-one holes. However, on the twenty-second hole, a par 3, Cook hit a great iron shot to roughly fifteen feet. DeForest’s shot landed a little short of the green and he failed to make an up and down for par. Cook tapped in for par and the victory on the twenty-second hole.
Girls (13-18) Division
Ana Boone posted scores of 71-74 during stroke play to secure the number two seed behind Yaxuan Zheng. Boone faced Lynne Zhang in the Round of 16 and ultimately defeated her 4 & 3. Hannah Booth faced Shanya Arasu in the Round of 16 in a close match until the end. Tied heading into the eighteenth hole, Booth closed it out and finished one up to advance to the Quarterfinals and face Boone.
Another close match between Booth and Boone which lasted all the way until the eighteenth hole. The eighteenth hole at Jacksonville Beach Golf Club is a par five with water lining the left side of the hole and trees lining the right side. A good drive will tempt the player to reach the green in two. However, the green is not completely an island, but water lines the left side and curls around back and ends half way up the right side of the green. It is a risky shot that can be rewarding and was the deciding factor on many of the matches that made it to the last hole. A win on the last hole sent Boone to the Semifinals to face Abigail Smith.
Boone and Smith faced off in the Seminfinals on Wednesday afternoon. Boone started out with the lead and while Smith made an effort to comeback throughout the round, Boone ultimately defeated her 4 & 2.
In addition, Sahana Chokshi posted rounds of 78-76 to capture the last seed and advance to match play. Chokshi faced the number one seed, Yaxuan Zheng in the Round of 16 and defeated her 5 & 3. Her win put her through to the Quarterfinals to face Brianna Castaldi. Chokshi took an early lead and while the two remained close, Castaldi fell to Chokshi on the seventeenth hole. Chokshi took the 2 & 1 victory and advanced to the Semifinals against Nancy Cox.
Chokshi and Cox fought all the way to the end. The match flipped back and forth between the two competitors, each holding a lead for only a hole or two. The competitors headed into the seventeenth hole with Chokshi one up on Cox, but Cox won the hole in a clutch moment to keep the match alive and head into the eighteenth hole all square. Cox fell victim to the water on her approach and missed a par putt to fall to Chokshi after putting up quite the fights. This victory sent Chokshi to the Finals match on Thursday against Ana Boone.
Boone took an early lead and was four through four holes. Chokshi did her best to narrow the lead, but Boone would not let up as she made a thirty foot birdie putt on the eighth hole and then proceeded to get up and down for par from a plugged lie in the bunker on the ninth hole. The two made the turn with Boone six up on Chokshi.
Boone headed into the thirteenth hole six up, but Chokshi won the hole to keep the match alive. A tie on the fourteenth hole ended it for the two competitors and Boone took the victory 5 & 4 over Chokshi.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys (13-15)||6432 yds. 69.6/129|
|Girls (13-18)||5896 yds. 73.3/124|
|Partly Cloudy||94 °F|
Format: 36 holes of individual gross stroke play; low 16 scores qualify for match play
Eligibility: Male & Female Florida resident - junior golfer
Handicap: Florida GHIN required (18.0 or less)
Entry Fee: $160
- Boys (13-15) & Girls (13-18)
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- After 36 holes, the field will be cut to the low 16 players in each division.
- Players will compete in 18-hole matches and the winner will advance.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
- Jacksonville Beach Golf Club
- Male or female amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- GHIN Handicap is required
- Females must be between 13-18 years of age and males must be between 13-15 years of age as of the last day of the tournament. No players are allowed to play outside of their age division.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
$160 - Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf and tee gift. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance in to the field.
- First come, first served
- The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Boys (13-15) - 6,600 - 6,900 yards
- Girls (13-18) - 5,700 - 5,900 yards
Monday, July 17th
- 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM - Registration - located near the clubhouse
- 7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Round 1 tee times off #1 and #10
Tuesday, July 18th
- 8:00 AM Shotgun - Second round of the stroke play seeding portion.
- After the completion of play, the field will be cut to the low 16 players in the boys and girls divisions.
- If necessary, a playoff will be held immediately following the seeding round to determine the last qualifiers into match play.
- Players will turn in their scorecards, grab a quick bite to eat, and then start their Round of 16 matches off #1 and #10.
- Tee times will roughly be 1:30 PM - 2:18 PM
Wednesday, July 19th
- Quarterfinals - 7:30 AM - 8:33 AM off tee #1
- Semifinals - Approx. 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM off tee #1
Thursday, July 20th
- Championship Matches - 7:30 AM & 7:45 AM
World & National Rankings
The Girls (13-18) age division of the Championship is ranked by the World Amateur Golf Ranking. The 36-hole stroke play portion of the Championship is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard for both divisions.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion - 2 Performance Stars
- Runner-up - 1 Performance Star
- Champion - 8 Performance Stars
- Runner-up - 4 Performance Stars
- Semifinalists - 1 Performance Star
Kayla Bryant and Pavel Tsar took home the Girls (13-18) and Boys (13-15) wins, respectively, at Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club.
Click here for the previous year's results
Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior on a space available basis. The FSGA will set up a Practice Round Block through Golf Genius for Sunday, July 16th from 1:00 PM - 3:51 PM for competitors. Players may register for the practice round block by emailing Brian Nichol at email@example.com. The list of open tee times is under the Tee Time & Info tab above.
Players will be required to walk for their practice rounds on Sunday, July 16th. Spectator Carts will be very limited and avalaible on a first come, first serve basis for the Practice Round. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax and includes range balls prior to the round. Please call (904) 247-6184 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
You may not make your practice round tee time before Championship groupings are made.
TrackMan Sessions Available
We are pleased to offer tournament participants the opportunity to utilize our TrackMan launch moniter, and to have his/her swing recorded on Sunday July 16th. Specifics will be included in the pre-event email. There is no charge for this service. All information will be posted to the junior's FSGA profile for college coaches to view. Click here for more information.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Boys (13-15) Semifinalists
- Next year's Boys' Junior Amateur Championship
Girls (13-18) Quarterfinalists
- Next year's Girls' Junior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: Jacksonville SE - Med Ctr Area
Address: 4791 Windsor Commons Court, Jacksonville, FL 32224
- 2 Double Beds - $119/night + tax
- King Bed w/Sofa - $119/night +tax
- To book, call the hotel directly at 904-421-7000 and reference the Florida State Golf Association.
- Or Book your room here!
Booking Deadline: July 2nd, 2023
Jacksonville Beach Golf Club accepts cash, Apple Pay and all major credit cards.
Jacksonville Beach Golf Club
605 South Penman Road
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
Click here for Directions