Super-Senior Amateur Match Play Championship
June 7-10, 2021
VERO BEACH, Fla - Doug LaCrosse claimed the Super-Senior Match Play Championship, while Donald Staton and Jerry Rodeheaver took home the 70-74 Age Division and 75 & Over Age Division respectively.
Doug LaCrosse, of Tampa, became the 2021 Super-Senior Match Play Champion with his win in 19 holes over Steve Sponder on Thursday. Early on in the match, LaCrosse found himself 3-down after five holes, but came roaring back winning the next four holes to finish the front nine 1-up against Sponder. Both players continued to battle on the back nine as the match tightened. At all square, the match headed to the 18th hole. LaCrosse made a bogey and Sponder buried a 10-footer for bogey to extend the match to extra holes. On the 19th hole, LaCrosse was able to claim the trophy, only needing a par to do so.
LaCrosse’s road to the finals featured a 1-up win over Walter Himelsbaugh, a 2 & 1 victory over David Bailey, and a 3 & 2 win over the defending Champion Neil Christie in the finals. The victory for LaCrosse adds yet another chapter to his illustrious hall of fame career.
70-74 Age Division
Donald Staton came out victorious in the 70-74 Age Division Championship with a 2 & 1 Victory over Pete McDade on Thursday. Staton, of Boca Raton, took down stroke play medalist Robert Cunningham on Tuesday with a 1-up victory. It took a 10-footer on the 23rd hole to beat Steve Boswell in the semifinals and advance to the final match. Wins at holes 15 & 16 in the final match were enough to secure Staton the title.
75 & Over Age Division
Jerry Rodeheaver, of Donnellun, took home the 75 & Over Age Division Championship after defeating Jack Heinemann 2 & 1 in the final match. Rodeheaver’s road to the finals started on Tuesday with his 2-up win over Don Valcheff. He followed that up with a 3 & 2 win over Brian Sachs on Wednesday in the semifinals. The semifinal match also included Rodeheaver’s first career hole-in-one on the par three sixth hole. Thomas Jung took home the stroke play medalist honors.
The Super-Senior Amateur Match Play is a great chance for the more experienced players in Florida to compete for a state Championship, in the always entertaining format of match play. There are three divisions in the Championship; Championship Division (open to any players 65+), 70-74 Age Division, and 75 & Over Age Division.
Format: 18 holes of individual gross stroke play, followed by match play
Eligibility: FSGA member at least 65 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 15.0 or less
Entry Fee: $185
- 18 holes of individual stroke play on Monday to determine match play seeds for all divisions as follows:
- Championship Division - low 15 players advance to the Championship bracket
- defending Champion receives the #1 seed if electing to play in same division
- a tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship bracket only.
- any players not making the Championship bracket, will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- 70-74 Age Division and 75 & Over Age Division - players will be flighted into brackets of 8 based on seeding round score (USGA tie-break will be used)
- defending Champions will receive the #1 seed in the Championship Bracket of their age division, if defending in that division
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
- All brackets are single elimination match play
- All players are guaranteed at least two rounds of golf (one stroke play and one match play)
- Maximum Field Size - 88 players
- Male amateur golfer at least 65 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be an Adult Member of the FSGA and have Florida GHIN not exceeding 15.0
Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the field is full. Entries are then placed on an alternates list in order of receipt and contacted if, and when, a spot becomes available.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Monday, June 7
- Stroke Play Seeding Round - 8:30 AM shotgun start
- A tie for last qualifying place(s) will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff in the Championship Division only
- Complimentary players' lunch buffet in the main clubhouse
Tuesday, June 8
- 7:15 AM - 12:30 PM 1st tee start - Round of 16 matches for Championship Division and quarterfinal matches for all other divisions
- 12:40 PM - 1:15 PM - Quarterfinal matches for Championship Division
Wednesday, June 9
7:30 AM - 9:45 AM - Semifinal matches all divisions
Thursday, June 10
- 7:30 AM - 8:48 AM - Final matches all divisions
Course Set-Up & Age Divisions
All players will be placed in the age division commensurate with their age as of the first day of Championship (unless choosing to enter the Championship Division).
The course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,100 - 6,300 yards - Championship Division (any player may choose to enter)
- 5,900 - 6,100 yards - 70-74 Age Division
- 5,500 - 5,700 yards - 75 & Over Age Division
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 772-562-2775 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
The 2020 Championship was canceled due to COVID-19. In 2019, Neil Christie captured the Championship Division, while the 70-74 Age Division & 75 & Over Age Division had repeat Champions in Jack Ramsey & Jim DuBois. Click here for the previous year's results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Winner (Championship Division)
- Next Year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart. - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Click here for booking information
Vero Beach Country Club accepts cash, Visa, and MasterCard as forms of payment.
Vero Beach Country Club
800 30th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Click here for directions