41st Mid-Amateur Championship
May 5-8, 2022
Latowski Captures 2nd Mid-Amatuer Crown in Three Years with Comeback Victory in 20 holes
OSPREY, Fla. – For the second time in three years, Joey Latowski captured the Mid-Amateur Championship. Latowski defeated Jake Sherwin, in 20 holes, on Sunday to take home the victory at the 41st Mid-Amateur Championship at The Oaks Club. The Port Saint Lucie native becomes just the eighth player to win two Mid-Amateur titles in FSGA history, after winning the championship in 2020.
Stroke Play Seeding Rounds
Matthew Galloway set the pace in the stroke-play seeding round, posting a 9-under 135 for the two days and earning the No. 1 seed. Latowski took the No. 11 seed after finishing at even-par 144.
There was a 9-for-3 playoff to finish out the stroke-play seeding rounds. After seven playoff holes, Leighton Peavler, Alex Slaton and James V. Smith took the final three spots.
Round of 32
Scott Turner earned a big victory in the Round of 32, defeating Colin Morris, 7 and 6. No. 1 seed, Galloway won the final two holes to lock up his spot in the Round of 16, beating Smith, 1 up. Latowski took the lead in his match on Devin Hernandez on the first hole and never let it go, winning 2 and 1.
The defending champion, Joe Algiers defeated Peavler, 1 up to advance to the Round of 16. Jose Vega won four-straight holes on the front side before taking the 5-and-3 win against Liam Ainsworth.
Round of 16
After some weather delays to get the Round of 16 started, Galloway made quick work of Kevin Johnson, winning 6 and 5. Latowski won back-to-back holes on the 16th and 17th to deafest Kyle Blackston, 3 and 1.
Austin Powell and Slanton needed extra holes to advance to the Quarterfinals. Powell won in 19 holes against Alex Grote, while Slanton won in 19 holes against Kohn Keenan.
Jake Sherwin took down the No. 1 seed in Galloway, winning three of the final four holes to earn the 1-up victory. Jose Vega used a big win against Powell to lock up his spot in Semifinals with a 5-and-4 victory. Miles McConnell, the 2021 FSGA Senior Player of the Year, defeated Slanton, 4 and 3, to advance. Latowski won three-straight holes on Nos. 11-13 to take down the defending champion, Alfieri, and move on.
Sherwin came out strong in the Semifinals matches, winning five of the first seven holes, before earning the win against Vega, 3 and 2. After McConnell took the lead on the front side, Latowski won three of six holes on the back side to earn a spot in the Finals with a 2-and-1 win.
In Sunday’s afternoon's Finals, Sherwin took the first lead of the day on the third before extending his lead to 2 up on the seventh. Latowski won the seventh to cut the lead and headed to the back side, 1 down. Latowski evened the match on the 11th, but Sherwin took back the lead on the 12th. Latowski won the 16th and 17th to tie the match back up. It took two extra holes, but Latowski captured the win on the 20th hole.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Stroke Play Seeding Rounds||6,850 yds. 75.1/150|
|Hot & Humid, Breezy Afternoon||91 °F|
Format: 36-holes of gross stroke play, followed by match play
Eligibility: FSGA Member at least 25 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 7.0 or less
Entry Fees: Qualifying - $90 | Exempt - $190
Qualifying: 6 local qualifying sites
- 36 holes of individual gross stroke play. Low 32 scores advance to match play.
- Championship Field Size - 84 players
- There will be a hole-by-hole play-off to determine the last qualifier's place in the Championship immediately - all other ties for seeds will be broken randomly
- The match play round of 32 will begin Friday afternoon
- The round of 16 will be played on Saturday morning and the quarterfinals will begin Saturday afternoon
- Semifinals will be played on Sunday morning and Championship match will be played on Sunday afternoon.
- Male amateur golfer at least 25 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Entrant is required to be an FSGA Adult Member with Florida GHIN of 7.0 or below
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee||Exempt Fee|
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts, course fees, and range balls for each competitive round.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship fee and entry fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Thursday, May 5th
- 7:30 AM - 11:51 AM - Tee #1
Friday, May 6th
- 8:30 AM shotgun start - Round 2 stroke play
- Field is cut to the 32 for match play; playoff immediately following play to determine the last qualifying position
- Complimentary lunch buffet for competitors following Round 2
- 2:00 PM - Round of 32 of match play off #1 and #10 tees
Saturday, May 7th
- 8:00 AM - 8:56 AM - Round of 16 of match play off #1 tee
- 12:30 PM - 1:15 PM - Quarterfinals of match play off #1 tee
Sunday, May 8th
- 8:00 AM - 8:15 AM - Semifinals of match play off #1 tee
- 12:00 PM - Final match of match play off # 1 tee
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $140 online at www.fsga.org under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page. Payment must be received by Friday, April 29th by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Qualifying Entry Fees - Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date of the qualifier.
Championship Fees & Exempt Entry Fees - Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline (See pre-registration date displayed on this page).
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,100 yards.
18 holes of individual stroke play at 6 qualifying sites. Cart fees are included in your qualifying fee. The number of qualifying spots will be posted at the host site and will be proportionate to other qualifying sites based on the size of the field. Ties for the last qualifying spot will also qualify (there are no playoffs). Alternates will be determined by ordering the players that just missed qualifying, and ties for alternate spots will be broken by the USGA suggested method (last 9, last 6, last 3, etc.).
Joe Alfieri, of Lutz won the 2021 Mid-Amateur Championship at The Club at Admiral's Cove defeating Garrett Morrison, of Saint Cloud, 3 & 2 in the final match. Alfieri captured his second Mid-Amateur Championship, 22 years after his first in 1999.
Championship Practice Rounds
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior on a space available basis. The cost of your first practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call 941-966-2191 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next five Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Current year's Florida Open
- Next two Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Players making match play
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player MUST ride, with the player's clubs remaining on the golf cart. Click here.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
The Oaks Club accepts American Express, Visa, and MasterCard.
The Oaks Club
301 MacEwen Drive
Osprey, FL 34229
Pro Shop: (941) 966-2191
Click here for directions