Senior Two-Man Shoot-Out
October 29-30, 2021
VALRICO, Fla. – Matt Jackson and Miles McConnell captured the Senior Two-Man Shoot-Out title on Saturday in wire-to-wire fashion at Buckhorn Springs Golf and Country Club, posting a 19-under 197 for the championship. Bobby Lundquist and Jerry Young took home the Super-Senior title, finishing the weekend at 8-under 208.
The championship began on Friday with teams competing in modified alternate shot. Jackson and McConnell took a one-shot lead with a 3-under 69. Douglas Jones and Ralph Remmert sat one shot back of them at 2-under 70, while two teams sat in a tie for third at 1-under 71.
The teams competed in the scramble portion on Friday afternoon. Jackson and McConnell continued their strong play with a 10-under 62, birdieing five-straight holes on Nos. 2-6. The duo took a three-shot lead into the final round at 13-under 131. Douglas Jones and Ralph Remmert sat in second place at 1-under 134 after an 8-under 64, where they birdied three of the final five holes.
The championship finished with a four-ball round on Sunday. McConnell and Jackson fired a bogey-free 66 in the final round to capture the five-shot victory. Jones and Remmert took home a runner-up finish, using a final-round 68 to finish at 14-under 202. Three teams finished the championship in a tie for third.
In the modified alternate shot, Lundquist and Young took a share of the first-round lead with Lenny Barthle and Bill Moore after the first round at 1-under 71. Kevin Macy and Gregory Shires sat three shots back at 2-over 74.
Lundquist and Young carded a 5-under 67 in Friday afternoon’s scramble to take the second-round lead by one shot. Macy and Shires fired a bogey-free 66, the low score of the day, to sit two shots back of the leaders heading into the final round.
In the final round, Lundquist and Young posted a 2-under 70 to take home the two-shot victory at 8-under 208. Barthle and Moore used a final-round 71 to earn a runner-up finish.
The Senior Two-Man Shoot-Out is one of the FSGA's most casual and enjoyable Championships! It is also a unique Championship combining modified alternate shot, two-man scramble and four-ball formats. Each round is considered a separate competition with prizes being awarded for each, as well as an overall winner for the Championship.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Senior Division||6493 yds., 71.3/130|
|Super-Senior Division||6086 yds., 69.0/125|
|Sunny & Breezy||80 °F|
Format: 54 holes of two-man stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA adult member at least 55 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN,15.0 or less
Entry Fee: $380 per team ($190 per player)
- 54 Holes of stroke play
- Maximum field size - 52 teams (104 players)
- Two-man team, gross stroke play (no handicaps)
- Senior (55-64) & Super-Senior (65 & Over) Age Divisions
- Each round is a different form of play (Modified Alternate Shot / Scramble / Four-Ball)
- Male amateur golfers age 55 or older as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be an adult member of the FSGA
- Active Florida GHIN, with index of 15.0 or lower
- $380 per team ($190 per player)
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Friday, October 29th
- Morning Round - 8:00 AM shotgun - Modified Alternate Shot (18 holes) where each player hits a tee shot, then the team selects a ball to be played into the hole and alternates playing that ball into the hole
- Lunch - Included
- Afternoon Round - 1:30 PM shotgun - Two-Man Scramble
Saturday, October 30th
- Final Round - 8:00 AM shotgun - Four-Ball (Two-Man Best-Ball)
- Playoff - For overall team Champion only. The format for the playoff is a three hole aggregate with each form of play used for one hole. If necessary play will continue on a hole by hole basis rotating the form of play. It is the team's responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 52 teams - 104 players
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,000 yards (Super-Senior) - 6,500 yards (Senior).
Rounds & Prizes
Each round of the Shoot-Out is treated as a separate competition and gift certificates are awarded for each round. There is an overall prize for the team Champion, but the emphasis and the majority of gift certificates are paid out on the basis of each individual round.
After 36 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship on a space available basis. The price for a practice round is $35 plus tax. Please call (813) 689-7766 to schedule your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
2020's Championship was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and rescheduling of the Senior Amateur Championship to October. In 2019, Brian Brown and Kelly Gosse captured the win in the Senior Division, while Ronald Cornette and Robert Cunningham captured the win in the Super-Senior Division. The teams posted scores of 70-60-62--192 and 70-64-65--199 respectively. Click here for the previous year's results.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart. - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in 4000 RCA Boulevard Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Visa and MasterCard are accepted in the golf shop.
Buckhorn Springs Golf & Country Club
2721 South Miller Road
Valrico, FL 33596
Click here for directions.