Women's Net Championship
September 23-24, 2023
LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. - The 2023 Women’s Net Championship kicked off Saturday at Lakewood National Golf Club with eighty-seven women fighting it out to claim the Middle and Forward overall championship.
Opening her championship with an impressive 4-under par 68, Xiaolin Jones picked right up where she left off and found herself in a tie for first and in position to defend her Women’s Net title. Jones’s day was highlighted by six net birdies, and a net eagle. Also in a tie for first was Bradenton native Heidi Phillips. Phillips matched Jones by carding six net birdies on her opening round. The duo concluded the day with a two shot lead over the nearest competitors.
Round two was nothing short of a battle. Throughout the day there were several leaderboard changes as conditions were prime for scoring. Phillips started round two with a shaky front nine 9-over par, 45. A net birdie on 11 was the jump start Phillips needed. Finishing out her remaining seven holes at net even, Phillips found herself in the lead and claiming a one-shot victory over the field.
Making a move up the leaderboard in round two was Sokhary Pavese. Pavese began her championship with an excellent round of one-under par, 71. The Bradenton native played well in round two, carding a one-over par 73 which propelled Pavese up the leaderboard for a second place finish.
Rounding out the top three was Elizabeth Breza. Breza also started her championship out strong with an opening round 70, which put Breza in a tie for third place. With an up and down front nine, Breza turned things around on the back nine of her second day, carding four birdies. This was enough for Breza to maintain her third place position.
Round one also saw a battle for first in the Forward division. Patricia Bass jumped out to an early lead after an opening round three under par, 69. Only one shot behind was Isabel Peres and Lynda Dao-Vo who each carded opening rounds of 70. Peres played consistently during her opening round carding three net birdies and one lone bogey.
Round two found Bass ready to take charge of the tournament. With a birdie on her opening hole, Bass quickly jumped out to a commanding lead. She picked up four additional birdies in route to a final round 73, and a three shot victory in the Forward division.
With an opening round one-under 73, Jennifer Kuhn, a Trinity native bounded up the leaderboard in round two. Coming in with a final round 72, Kuhn vaulted up the leaderboard five spots for a second place finish.
Also making massive moves in round two was Fran Stock. Stock began her day in ninth place, but after three birdies and an eagle, Stock worked her way up six spot on the leaderboard and claimed a third place finish in the Forward division.
1. Heidi Phillips – 68-75—143
2. Sokhary Pavese 71-73—144
3. Elizabeth Breza – 70-74—144
Middle First Flight
1. Amanda Kluynski – 71-75—146
2. Kimberly Byle – 77-70—147
3. Janet Van Slyke – 79-70—149
1. Fran Stock – 76-72—148
2. Rita West – 72-76-148
3. Isabel Peres – 70-79—149
Forward First Flight
1. Patricia Bass – 69-73—142
2. Jennifer Kuhn – 73-72-145
3. Christine Lovizio – 78-71—149
Format: 36 holes of net individual stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA member at least 18 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 34.0 or less
Entry Fee: $185
- 36 holes of net individual stroke play
- Maximum Field Size - 96 players
- Maximum Score of 10 per hole is in effect
- Two divisions - Middle and Forward
- The overall Champions will be the individuals with the lowest 36-hole total net score (regardless of pre-flighting)
- No pairings requests will be honored for this Championship
- Female amateur golfer
- At least 18 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- A valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 34.0
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, awards luncheon following the final round, and gift certificate prizes. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Saturday, September 23rd
- 7:00 - 9:00 AM - Tournament registration
- 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM Round one tee times off #1 and #10
Sunday, September 24th
- 8:00 AM - Final round shotgun
- Awards luncheon immediately following play
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Divisions & Course Set-Up
Players must select their division at the time of entry. A player may not switch divisions once pairings are posted.
- Middle Division - 5,200-5,400 yards approx.
- Forward Division - 4,700-4,900 yards approx.
Suggested Handicap Guidelines
The following should be considered when selecting divisions:
- Middle Division - 15.0 and Under
- Forward Division - 15.1 and Over
Committee Discretion: The Championship Committee reserves the right to move any player out of the Forward Division if their handicap is significantly lower than the majority of the competitors in that division, and their scoring history does not reflect the need to play from the Forward Division.
- All valid Florida GHIN Handicap Indexes used will be from 7 days prior to the championship start date
- Each player must have a valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index no higher than 34.0
- All players will play to 95% of their course handicap
It is the responsibility of any player that maintains a Handicap Index lower than her current Florida GHIN Handicap Index to inform the FSGA for resolution. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
The Middle and Forward Divisions will be pre-flighted based on individual handicaps. The overall Champions will be the individuals with the lowest 36-hole total net score (regardless of pre-flighting).
Generally, divisions of more than 14 individuals will be flighted, however the Committee reserves the right to flight based on the number of individuals and/or the range of handicaps.
All Divisions - Ties for first place in each flight of the Middle and Forward Divisions will be broken by a modified USGA tie break method. The final day 18 hole net respective score will be used to determine the first place individual. (If there is still a tie, the final 9 holes of the last day (holes 10-18) will be used to determine the winner. If there is still a tie, the final 6 holes are used; then if needed the final 3 holes; then the final hole; then by coin flip).
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the event on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM the weekend prior. The cost of a practice round is $50 plus tax. Please call 941-900-2424 to book your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Xiaolin Jones captured the overall victory of the Middle Division as well as the Middle First Flight with a 36-hole net total of (-3) shooting rounds of 71-70. Jones carded six net birdies and two gross birdies over 36 holes securing the win by four strokes over Christine Martin. Joanne Kolius secured her first FSGA win of the Forward Division and the Forward First Flight with a 36-hole net total of (-4) shooting rounds of 68-72. Kolius carded seven net birdies, three net eagles, and one gross birdie over the two rounds.
- Spectator and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are NOT permitted in FSGA Championships and FSGA qualifying rounds per the FSGA Code of Conduct; except at the Florida Open, Florida Women's Open & Senior Open, and the Florida Senior Open - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accomodations
Tru By Hilton - Bradenton I-75
5510 Manor Hill Lane
Bradenon, FL 34203
Click here for more informtation and to book your stay.
Lakewood National Golf Club accepts Visa, Mastercard, and American Express
Lakewood National Golf Club
17605 Lakewood National Parkway
Lakewood Ranch, FL 34211