94th Women's Amateur Championship
June 13-17, 2023
PALM HARBOR, Fla. – After a long week of golf, it was Chloe Kovelesky who raised the Women’s Amateur trophy at the end of the day. Kovelesky defeated Victoria Zheng, 4 and 3, on Saturday at Innisbrook Golf Resort to win the 94th Women’s Amateur Championship.
"I’m so grateful to have won the 94th Women’s Amateur. I’ve been working so hard the past couple years and I’m really glad to see the hard work pay off,” Kovelesky said.
Kovelesky, 16 years old, becomes the youngest player to win the Women’s Amateur Championship. She also becomes just the second junior golfer to win the Women’s Amateur in the championship’s 94-year history, after 17-year-old Bailey Shoemaker won in 2022.
This is the second FSGA championship victory for Kovelesky, who won the Women’s Four-Ball Championship with Gabriella Albert in 2022.
The morning saw Kovelesky and Agustina Gomez Cisterna go to the 18th hole, with Kovelesky, winning, 1 up, while Zheng defeated Kelli Pry, 3 and 2. Kovelesky and Zheng, the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds, respectively, advanced to the Final in the afternoon.
“My mindset coming into the day was the same as it was during the other matches to just keep playing my game. I’m really confident right now with my swing, and I’m putting really well right now.”
In the Final match, Kovelesky took an early lead, hitting her second shot to 6 feet and rolling in the putt for birdie to go 1 up. The Boca Raton native hit her second shot over the green on the third hole but chipped it to 2 feet. Zheng missed her putt for par, giving Kovelesky a 2-up lead through three holes.
On the par-3 fourth hole, Zheng hit her tee shot to three feet and rolled it in for birdie. Kovalevsky was left with a long putt for birdie that slid by the hole to move her to 1 up against Zheng. But Kovalevsky quickly took back a 2-up lead with a birdie on the fifth.
Kovelesky and Zheng traded holes on the seventh and eighth, with Koveleskly winning the seventh hole after Zheng’s second shot found the greenside bunker and Zheng winning the eighth after Kovelesky finished with a bogey.
Making the turn to the back side, Kovelesky extended her lead to 4 up, winning back-to-back holes on the 10th and 11th. On the par-5 11th hole, Kovelesky went for the green in two, landing it on the edge of the green and left with a 60-foot putt for birdie. She nestled it up to 6 feet, while Zheng hit her third shot over the green and missed the putt for par.
“I think winning the 10th and 11th with birdies put some more pressure on her and really helped me take control of the match.”
Zheng cut Kovelesky’s lead to 3 up on the 12th hole, rolling in a 5-foot putt for par, while Kovelesky’s putt lipped out. But Kovelesky quickly took back her 4-up lead with a birdie on the par-3 13th hole.
Kovelesky secured the Women’s Amateur title on the 15th hole with a par to defeat Zheng, 4 and 3.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Women's Amateur Championship||6,229 yds. 77.7/149|
|Sunny, Hot||90 °F|
|Sunny, 15 mph winds||92 °F|
The Women's Amateur Championship is the oldest and most prestigious event on the Women's Championship schedule. In its 94th year, past Champions include the names of Cristie Kerr, Meghan Stasi, Taffy Brower, and other notables.
Format: 36 holes of individual stroke play, followed by match play
Eligibility: Florida resident; Committee approval for players less than 13 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Entry Fee: $250
- 36 holes of individual stroke play on the Copperhead Course to determine the 64 qualifiers for match play
- Maximum Field Size - 144 players
- All players play 18-holes on the Copperhead Course on Tuesday and Wednesday
- A tie for last qualifier's place will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw
- All match play rounds will be played on the Copperhead Course
- Single elimination match play; no handicaps and no consolation matches or flights
- Female amateur golfer
- Florida residency required
- A valid Florida GHIN Handicap Index not exceeding 10.0 is required
- Committee approval is required for entry if the player is less than 13 years of age
Entry fee includes all competitive rounds of golf, tee gift, player luncheon during the first round of stroke play, and gift certificate prizes. Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Monday, June 12th
- 12:00 - 4:00 PM - Player registration
Tuesday, June 13th
- 6:30 - 9:00 AM - Player registration (Morning wave)
- 7:30 - 9:20 AM - (Morning wave) Round one tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course (stroke play)
- 10:45 AM - 1:15 PM - Player registration (Afternoon wave)
- 12:00 PM - 1:50 PM - (Afternoon wave) Round one tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course (stroke play)
- Lunch gift certificates provided
Wednesday, June 14th
- 7:30 - 9:20 AM - (Morning wave) Round two tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course (stroke play)
- 12:00 PM - 1:50 PM - (Afternoon wave) Round two tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course (stroke play)
- Field cut to low 64 (playoff to immediately follow play, if needed)
Thursday, June 15th
- 7:30 - 9:15 AM - Round of 64 matches, tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course
- 12:30 - 1:27 PM - Round of 32 matches, tee times off #1 & #10 on the Copperhead Course
Friday, June 16th
- 7:30 - 8:26 AM - Round of 16 matches, tee times off #1 on the Copperhead Course
- 12:45 - 1:30 PM - Quarterfinal matches, tee times off #1 on the Copperhead Course
Saturday, June 17th
- 7:30 - 7:45 AM - Semifinal matches, tee times off #1 on the Copperhead Course
- 12:00 PM - Championship 18-hole match, tee time off #1 on the Copperhead Course
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full, or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
- 6,000 - 6,200 yards (Gross Only)
After 130 holes of golf, it was Bailey Shoemaker who raised the 93rd Women’s Amateur trophy at the end of the day. Shoemaker took down Maisie Filler, 3 and 2, in the final match to secure victory at Streamsong.
The price for a practice round is $50.00 + tax. Please call 727-942-2000 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Practice Before & Between Rounds
During the stroke play qualifying seeding rounds, a player may not practice on the competition course before or between rounds. Penalty for first breach: General Penalty. Penalty for second breach: Disqualification.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are NOT permitted in FSGA Championships and FSGA qualifying rounds per the FSGA Code of Conduct; except at the Florida Open, Florida Women's Open & Senior Open, and the Florida Senior Open Click here.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
The FSGA has arranged rates for the 94th Women's Amateur Championship
Innisbrook Resort & Spa
36750 US Highway 19 North
Palm Harbor, FL 34684
Deluxe Guest Room - $139/night plus tax and resort fee
Executive Suite - $149/night plus tax and resort fee
1 Bedroom Suite - $179/night plus tax and resort fee
2 Bedroom Suites - $249/night plus tax and resort fee
Booking deadline to garuntee rates is May 20th, 2023
Innisbrook Resort & Spa accepts check, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express as forms of payment.
Innisbrook Resort & Spa - Copperhead Course
36750 US Highway 19 North
Palm Harbor, FL 34684
Click here for directions