74th Four-Ball Championship
August 12-13, 2023
Tallahassee, Fla – Will Davenport and TJ Shuart handled the heat and challenging golf course this weekend to take home the 74th Four-Ball Championship at Seminole Legacy Golf Club.
The 74th Four-Ball began on Saturday morning in Tallahassee with 52 teams fighting to etch their name on the Four-Ball trophy. Heat advisories were issued for the weekend and winds were down, adding a physical test ahead to the test of golf that was already in front of the players.
Seminole Legacy Golf Club, home the Florida State Seminole’s golf teams, provides a test of golf unique to most players residing in the state of Florida. Elevation change, thick rough transitioned into long bahia grass, and a layout that can be stretched as long as you desire are just a few of the characteristics making it a great championship test. The club has played host to the Boys’ and Girls’ Junior Championships in the past, but this was the first appearance on the Men’s state championship schedule, and it delivered.
A slow start to Saturday morning left the lead wavering around 3 or 4 under for most of the early part of the day. Davenport and Shuart, teeing off near the end of the field, started hot on the more difficult back 9, birdieing 11, 12, and 16 to turn at 3-under. Birdies at 3, 6, and 7 and a lonely bogey on the scorecard at 5 would leave them at 5-under for the Championship after Round 1. Nick Strickler and James Preston had the round of the day playing in the group behind Davenport & Shuart, with an 8-under 64 that included 9 birdies and a bogey.
Round 2 on Sunday had a number of teams in contention and vying for the lead throughout the day. Ty Wehrs and Dylan Vause, both employees at Seminole Legacy, had the round of the day out early with an 8-under 64 and shot up the leaderboard 19 spots, eventually finishing in a tie for 5th and earning in exemption into next years’ championship. Defending champions Cooper Smith and Austin Cherichella made a run of their own, with eagles at 1 & 11 and birdies 6, 7 & 10 pushing themselves into a tie for the lead. Bogeys at 14 & 16 would eventually lead them to a T5 finish.
It was Davenport & Shuart who separated themselves from the pack in the middle of the round with four birdies in a row on a difficult stretch from 10 through 13, putting them three clear of the field. Pars at four of the remaining five holes was enough, en route to their 1-shot victory. Preston & Strickler had a chance to force a playoff on 18, but fell one short for solo second, as both players missed their birdie putts.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|74th Four-Ball Championship||7,310 yds., 75.2/138|
|Sunny, Hot||98 °F|
The Four-Ball Championship is Florida's most competitive team event each year. This Championship attracts the best amateur players around the state as they pair-up with long-time competitors and friends to battle other formidable teams.
|Format: 36 holes of gross four-ball stroke play|
|Eligibility: FSGA member; one player at least 16 years old|
|Handicap: FL GHIN 10.0 or less|
|Entry Fees: Qualifying - $190 | Exempt - $360|
|Qualifying: Six local qualifying sites|
|Schedule of Events|
- Championship field size - 52 teams (104 players)
- 36 holes of four-ball stroke play (commonly called two person best-ball)
- The lowest team score for 36 holes will be the Champion
- Male amateur golfer
- At least one player must be 16 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
- Active Florida GHIN of 10.0 or less at the time of entry
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee||Exempt Fee||Late Fee|
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, all course and cart fees, and range balls.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt fee includes Championship fee and entry fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Those teams who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $300 per team at the FSGA website, www.fsga.org. Payment must be received by 3:30 PM on Friday, August 4th, or the team will be withdrawn from the Championship
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Qualifying Entry Fees - Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date of the qualifier.
Championship Fees & Exempt Entry Fees - Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline (See pre-registration date displayed on this page).
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,500 yards
Saturday, August 12th
- 8:00 - 10:00 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
Sunday, August 13th
- 8:00 - 10:00 AM - Round two tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
18 holes of four-ball stroke play at 6 local qualifying sites. Cart fees are included in your qualifying fee. The number of qualifying spots will be posted at the host site and will be proportionate to other qualifying sites based on the size of the field. Ties for the last qualifying spot will also qualify (there are no playoffs). Alternates will be determined by ordering the players that just missed qualifying, and ties for alternate spots will be broken by the USGA suggested method (last 9, last 6, last 3, etc.).
Cooper Smith and Austin Cherichella survived two playoff holes to capture the 73rd Four-Ball Championship on Sunday at The Club at Quail Ridge. The team finished the weekend 19-under 125 and secured the victory with a birdie on the second playoff hole.
Practice Rounds - Championship
Championship players are responsible for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship proper. Click on Tee Times & Info above and then view the Player Information sheet for each qualifying site venue to find the practice round information.
At the Championship, a practice round at the rate of $40 plus tax is available on a space available basis at the following times:
- One week prior to the event after 12:00 PM on the weekend
- A Golf Genius Booking Link will be provided after qualifying completes to schedule a practice round on a specified date reserved with the club.
Please call (850) 644-2582 to reserve a practice round outside of the reserved block under the Golf Genius booking link. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hititng multiple balls on the golf course is unacceptable.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Four-Ball Championships
Top five and tied teams
- Next year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are NOT permitted in FSGA Championships and FSGA qualifying rounds per the FSGA Code of Conduct; except at the Florida Open, Florida Women's Open & Senior Open, and the Florida Senior Open - Click here
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
Seminole Legacy Golf Club accepts all major Credit Cards as method of payment.
Senimole Legacy Golf Club
2550 Pottsdamer Street
Tallhassee, FL 32310