64th Girls' Junior Championship
June 29 - July 1, 2023
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Lydia Lin and Amelie Zalsman were crowned champions at the 64th Girls’ Junior Amateur Championship in wire-to-wire fashion at Seminole Legacy Golf Club on Saturday. Lin captured the victory in the 16-18 Division with a 4-over 220, while Zalsman was victorious in the 13-15 Division at 7-under 209.
Beginning the final round with a four-shot lead, Lin got off to a slow start with bogeys on three of her first four holes. The Reunion native turned it around with birdies on two of her next three holes to make the turn at 2 over for the championship and with a two-shot lead over Gabriella Albert.
Lin ran into some more trouble as she got the back nine started, playing the first four holes at 3 over with a double bogey on the 13th. Meanwhile Albert added another birdie on the 10th and moved into a tie at the top after the 13th hole. Lin finished the 14th with a par, while Albert carded a bogey, giving Lin back the one-shot lead.
A Florida Junior Tour winner, Lin rolled in a birdie putt on the 18th to secure the victory with a final-round 75. Lin earned her first FSGA championship with rounds of 73-72-75 for the week.
"This win means a lot," Lin said. "There were so many good players in the field and the course was playing hard, so it is great to win this week."
Albert finished the weekend in a runner-up finish at 6-over 220 after rounds of 79-70-73 for the championship. Her second-round 70 was the only under-par rounds in the16-18 division over the three days.
Catalina Harvey and McKinley Holding finished tied for third at 11-over 227.
Zalsman began the final round with a six-shot lead over the field at 5-under 139. She got off to a fast start with birdies on two of her first three holes. The Saint Petersburg resident added another birdie on the seventh hole to move to 7 under for the championship.
"It means so much to win this championship," Zalsman said. "This is only my second event of the year, but I played really well and its going to give me a lot of momentum going into the rest of the year."
She ran into some trouble on the par-3 eighth hole, finishing with a double bogey, but quickly rebounded with a birdie on the ninth to head to the back nine. Zalsman added a birdie and bogey on the 11th and 12th. She birdied the par-4 17th to extend her lead to four shots and secure the win with a final-round 70.
"My shot on 17 was the best of the day," Zalsman said. "I almost holed out for eagle so it helped me finishing the day strong."
Playing in her first FSGA tournament, Zalsman earned the championship victory with rounds of 67-72-70 for the week. She was the lone player in the field to post three rounds at even-par or better.
Sophia Dyer made a run at the 13-15 title, firing a final-round 66 to finish four shots back of Zalsman at 3-under 213. The Saint Petersburg native carded three birdies on the front side and an eagle on the par-4 eighth hole. She added three more birdies on the back nine to earn a runner-up finish with round of 72-75-66.
Bella Dovhey finished the week in third place at 1-under 215 with rounds of 74-72-69, while Miranda Lu took fourth place at 2-over 218.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Girls (16-18)||6178 yds. 75.9/134|
|Girls (13-15)||5806 yds. 74.3/130|
|Format: 54 holes of gross stroke play|
|Eligibility: Female Florida resident - junior golfer|
|Handicap: Florida GHIN required (10.0 or less)|
|Entry Fee: $180|
|Schedule of Events|
- Regular (16-18) and Junior (13-15) Age Division
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 90 players
- Field size to consist of approximately 54 Girls (16-18) & 36 Girls (13-15)
- Seminole Legacy Golf Club
- Female amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- Entrant must be no older than 18 as of the last day of the Championship and not attending college if graduated from high school. See exception here.
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA.
- All players must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship. See the following exception:
- Players 12 and under may play up to the 13-15 age division if they have been granted permission to play in the 13-15 age division of the Florida Junior Tour.
- Previous Girls' Junior Champions (either age division)
- Top 500 & ties from the final 2022 World Amateur Golf Rankings
- Top 100 ranked players on Junior Golf Scoreboard as of close of entries
- Top 35 in last year's Girls' Player of the Year Points List
- Top 10 & ties from last year's Girls' Junior Championship (16-18)
- Top 5 & ties from last year's Girls' Junior Championship (13-15)
- Quarterfinalist from last year's Junior Match Play Championship
- Top 3 & ties from last year's FHSAA Golf Finals
- FJT winners since last year's Girls' Junior Championship (16-18 & 13-15)
- Top 15 & ties (16-18) and top 10 & ties (13-15) from current year's FJT Points List as of close of entries
- Top 15 & ties (16-18) and top 10 & ties (13-15) from last year's FJT Points List
- Players who made Match Play at last year's Women's State Amateur Championship
- Players who made the cut at last year's Florida Women's Open
- Players who finished top 25 in last year's Women's Amateur Stroke Play Championship
- Players who qualified for one of last year's USGA Championships
Any additional available spots and all alternate spots will be filled by (in this order):
- Junior Golf Scoreboard ranking (at close of entries)
- Receipt of entry (first come first served)
Last Chance Qualifier
One last chance qualifier will be conducted on Tuesday, June 20 for golfers that did not gain entry in to the championship field. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Entries will open on June 9th, 2023 at 8:00 AM.
- Approximate Field Size:
Girls (16-18) - 54 players for 7 spots
Girls (13-15) - 30 players for 4 spots
The FSGA reserves the right to modify the entry process at any time.
The FSGA may hold an undisclosed number of spots for exceptional circumstances.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Girls (16-18) - 6,000 - 6,200 yards
- Girls (13-15) - 5,700 - 5,900 yards
Thursday, June 29th
- 6:45 AM - 9:00 AM - Registration - located near the clubhouse
- 7:30 AM - 9:36 AM - Round one tee times off #1 & #10
Friday, June 30th
- 7:30 AM - 9:36 AM - Round two tee times off #1 & #10
Saturday, July 1st
- 7:30 AM - 9:36 AM - Final round tee times begin off #1 and #10
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
World & National Rankings
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
|Girls (16-18)||Girls (13-15)|
|Top 3 - Fully Exempt||Champion - 4 stars|
|Top Five - 12 stars||Top 10% - 1 star|
|Top Ten - 8 stars||
|Top 15 - 4 stars||
Click here for the previous year's results
Practice rounds are available on a space available basis, one week prior to the event at Seminole Legacy. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax and includes cart and range balls prior to the round. The FSGA will work with the club to create blocks for players to book times through Golf Genius and limit phone calls to the shop, and pair players up. As we approach the Championship, a link will be posted here and under Tee Times & Info to book your practice round tee time. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Practice Round Block Wednesday, June 28th:
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM in foursomes every 10 minutes
- A link to sign up will be sent following the Last Chance Qualifier on Tuesday, June 21st
Practice Before & Between Rounds
A player may not practice on the competition course before or between rounds. Penalty for first breach: General Penalty. Penalty for second breach: Disqualification.
We are pleased to offer tournament participants the opportunity to utilize our TrackMan launch moniter, and to have her swing recorded on Wednesday, June 28th at Seminole Legacy Golf Club. Specifics will be included in the pre-event email. There is no charge for this service. All information will be posted to the junior's FSGA profile for college coaches to view. Click here for more information.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Transportation - Players must walk and carry their bag (push carts are allowed).
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Residence Inn Tallahassee Universities at the Capitol
Address: 600 W Gaines St, Tallahassee, FL 32304
Phone: (850) 329-9080
- Rates available: 6/27/23 - 7/1/23
- Studio Suite - $129/night + tax
- One Bedroom Suite - $169/night + tax
- Two Bedroom Suite - $249/night + tax
- Book here
Booking deadline: June 1, 2023
Seminole Legacy Golf Club accepts all major credit cards as a method of payment, no cash.
Seminole Legacy Golf Club
2550 Pottsdamer St.
Tallahassee, FL 32310
Click here for directions.